Skip to main content

garbage


low and mean and free; inks and acrylic on paper.
* * * * *

garbage

There is something about country music played at distorting volumes over a freezing supermarket's buzzy speaker system at 8:17 a.m that always brings me close to tears. What is that man braying about? He sounds badly congested. He sounds like he's trapped somewhere between singing and honking. Why must it be so loud? I thought country-music artists(!) were supposed to be all heartland and soulful. Not rock-y and blaring. The way my head hurts is a kind of pressure from both sides.

At the top of the pasta aisle is a middle-aged woman who has removed her glasses so she can cry in an unencumbered way. She's put her basket down and so has the middle-aged man she's with, who is looking especially bald and bespectacled and hopeless by the situation. It's not so bad, I want to say. I'm sure the artist isn't even getting royalties from this. Besides, you'll soon be out of here, and back home with the rest of your family.

That last part reminded me why my policy of saying less is almost always right. Besides, in my imaginary comforting, I'd forgotten to remind her that summer had finally arrived. So hurray for that! The day started off cool enough, but I knew everyone was impatient for that kind of temperance to go away and for the real stinking heat to come in. Which happened at around lunch, and is supposed to be with us for a good week or so. As will sweating, and violent rainstorms, and more sweating, and artificially cooling your environment! I can see why people look forward to this. Why would you want to be anything else but irradiated and slightly damp all the time? Fall with its leaves and multifarious colours and fluent crispness can go fuck itself.

Anyway, while it was still cool we did have a thorough go-around at the Skeleton Park Music Festival, where Oona enjoyed a giant cardboard castle and my wife bought me some buttons and I found a very nice handmade journal, and everyone was pleasant, and smiling, and happy to be there. I still haven't decided exactly where the tipping point is from hippie to hipster, but I certainly have more empirical evidence now.

What I do know is that these are the kind of people who would worry about moving out to the suburbs and turning weirdly right wing, but I can tell you that you don't need to incur the expense; living in the inner city will make you hate a lot of poor people just as quickly. It's the third or fourth time that someone dumps garbage in your alley way that does it. I mean, you kind of get used to all the middle-of-the-night fighting and swearing and threats to kill each other, and you hardly take notice after the twentieth or thirtieth time you encounter an adult male riding a children's bicycle down the sidewalk, and having things stolen by people just walking by is infrequent and random enough to mostly shrug off, but the *effort* involved in dumping garbage feels much, much more personal. SOMETIMES THEY EVEN USE SHOPPING CARTS. And then my wife phones the city, and the city does nothing, and then she writes her city counsellor, and he does nothing, and then you have to go back there with gloves and bag it up and store it and put it out with your own garbage and pay for the extra bag. And what I've decided about the kind of people who dump garbage in our alley is that they represent the tipping point where poverty becomes hopeless, and impossible to address, because these are the kind of people who are incapable of dealing with ordinary problems, the kind of people who deal with an ordinary problem like garbage disposal by illegally dumping it.

And so whenever I think about what we're trying to accomplish with raising Oona, I always come back to one point: I just want her to be capable. I just want her to be resilient and confident and able to deal with life's problems. I want her to be able to take care of her own garbage.

* * * * *

Popular posts from this blog

glamour, by extension

C is friends with the fashion stylist Rebekah Roy (left in both pics above) ... one of those people who personify calm and smiling success. On her blog she presents glamour in this very sincere, straightforward way ... whether she's taking pictures of people on the street , talking about stain removers , her favourite videos , or attending some glittering party . One minute she's ruminating on hair extensions, and in the next she reveals how she's been featured on the Vogue UK site. A real disarmer and charmer (and this without meeting her yet, although I feel like I know her because we both did our time in Winnipeg). * * * * * Coming home from Russia, we did many bad things. ; mixed media on canvas, 10 x 10 inches. In my own life, the glamour is wholly imagined. * * * * * witches, smoke ; mixed media on canvas, 10 x 10 inches. My second go at this one, and for some reason I'm painting a lot of smoke lately (note to self: tell C that I want to be cremated). *

the indisputable weight of the ocean

People are always telling me that my work is too dark. So I've put up this sunnier story, but even it has a shadow, as its original publisher – a fine Atlantic Canadian literary magazine called the Gaspereau Review – is no longer in business. ---------------- It was a simple enough thing and that thing was simply this: Edmund Kelley was a gentleman. Of course his mom called him her 'little gentleman', as in 'Oh Edmund, you are my perfect little gentleman,' which did seem to hold to a certain logic that these type of things often follow, considering her affection for him and the fact that he was, after all, only ten years old. Still, Edmund himself was not particularly fond of the diminutive aspect of that title. Gentleman was enough; gentleman summed up the whole thing rather nicely, thank you. He was definitely a more refined version of your average child. He lived in a state of perpetual Sunday m

Oona Balloona (doesn't care about new tables)

Well, it's Friday, and since I'm pretty depleted in the chit-chat department, I might as well put up some pictures of Ol' Giggles At Ghosts before Grandma starts sending me hate mail. Man, what a goofball. At this rate it's going to be, like, eighteen years before she has gainful employment and moves out of the house. I mean, come on . * * * * * C is especially crazy and frantic today. About two months ago she decided that she no longer liked our dining room table (take that, dining room table! no more BFF for you!). Since then she's switched the dining room and kitchen table (and all the rest of the furniture in the house -- about thirty times, but that's another story) as a provisional solution while she scoured area stores for an upgrade. And she thought she had found one, on Wednesday, at JYSK ( Whatever , I said). But when she ordered it, JYSK called back to say that they were really low on stock, and that the stock they did have was damaged, and