Skip to main content

I scream for artstream

I drove down to Rochester, New Hampshire this weekend, where my friend Susan and I put on an exhibit called "O Canada, O New England" at her lovely gallery there -- artstream studios.

* * * * *

Canada -- a vast, dreamladen landscape ... full of sweet darkness, haunted psyches and femme fatales. While New England is famous for its loneliness, fishermen and Whoopie Pie. It's a fact!

* * * * *

The scene of the crime, taken early Saturday morning, before we'd even hung anything.

* * * * *

My half of the show was five very new pieces (which you can see in previous posts below or here), a good handful of ink drawings and then five older paintings which still fit my (arbitrary, fictitious) themes.

* * * * *

Like this painting, called The Whole Morning -- a wonderful painting whose story speaks to darkness, dreaming and being blue ... all at once! (FYI: the second photo was taken by Susan's husband, Rainer. Good perspective!)

* * * * *

And these -- I looked, Markov and poor girl -- these great paintings that fit with the show and needed a new lease on life after prospective buyers fell through (it happens all the time -- someone contacts me about wanting a painting, but then trying to arrange for payment or delivery is like trying to catch a cloud). So now they're in a nice gallery where people can easily access them, to purchase or just view. And this makes me happy.

* * * * *

Same goes for this fellow, fell for you.

* * * * *


Susan's figurative work always has this decorative, folk-art kind of quality -- very warm and comfortable. Not many paintings can go just about anywhere in a house, but these can. And her work is so affordable.

* * * * *

Speak of the devil.

* * * * *

And so we opened the doors and waited ... and waited ... and suddenly there was a crowd, all at once. Isn't that how it always goes? I remember throwing a party in university, and telling people to come for 9, and no one being there at 9:30, and proceeding to get drunk, and then being in no shape to host when everyone showed up at 10:30 (in fact, I had to 'designate' a host while I proceeded to become the kind of guest I'd tell to leave). (Note: the bottom photo is Rainer's again. It's in focus!).

* * * * *

We were part of Rochester's Art Walk that night. This is exactly the kind of thing that Susan does and organizes and promotes all the time, and it's this kind of generosity that explains why she'd invite a Canadian down to exhibit in her gallery, and why she's such a great host (and friend).

* * * * *

If you like any of the work you've seen here, please contact Susan at shop@artstreamstudios.com -- she's a professional! Her husband is German! He demands precision!

Comments

  1. congratulations DJ! I love the piece 'I Looked' - it's really strong and stunning - so nice to see your work in perspective - someday I will see it in person! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that I found you through Susan's blog. First, Congratulations on your art exhibition! Second, your artwork is terrific! I particularly like that you paint characters that look like they come with a good story. Do you write, too? Third, lucky you for meeting Susan in person! And fourth, I have family living near Kingston! Small world, eh?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:15 am

    SO MANY RED LETTERS.

    Srsly, though: Good show, old man. And good post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeane: thanks again -- you're always so supportive.

    Susanna: I'm glad you found me, too! It *is* a small world. And yes, I do write -- there's a link to my book at the side.

    Flying Indie: You.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it must be nice to see your artwork in a gallery. the paintings are bigger than I imagine. I guess my little computer screen does no justice to your work.

    have a lovely october.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous2:34 pm

    Fantastic!! Love looking at all the photos. Really Love seeing your work this way as it gives a nice idea of size, which gets easily lost with up close images and nothing around to compare. Congrats to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every comment of mine is so repetitive, but i cant help but always tell u ure awesome now can i?!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

the indisputable weight of the ocean

People are always telling me that my work is too dark. So I've put up this sunnier story, but even it has a shadow, as its original publisher – a fine Atlantic Canadian literary magazine called the Gaspereau Review – is no longer in business. ---------------- It was a simple enough thing and that thing was simply this: Edmund Kelley was a gentleman. Of course his mom called him her 'little gentleman', as in 'Oh Edmund, you are my perfect little gentleman,' which did seem to hold to a certain logic that these type of things often follow, considering her affection for him and the fact that he was, after all, only ten years old. Still, Edmund himself was not particularly fond of the diminutive aspect of that title. Gentleman was enough; gentleman summed up the whole thing rather nicely, thank you. He was definitely a more refined version of your average child. He lived in a state of perpetual Sunday m

Oona Balloona (doesn't care about new tables)

Well, it's Friday, and since I'm pretty depleted in the chit-chat department, I might as well put up some pictures of Ol' Giggles At Ghosts before Grandma starts sending me hate mail. Man, what a goofball. At this rate it's going to be, like, eighteen years before she has gainful employment and moves out of the house. I mean, come on . * * * * * C is especially crazy and frantic today. About two months ago she decided that she no longer liked our dining room table (take that, dining room table! no more BFF for you!). Since then she's switched the dining room and kitchen table (and all the rest of the furniture in the house -- about thirty times, but that's another story) as a provisional solution while she scoured area stores for an upgrade. And she thought she had found one, on Wednesday, at JYSK ( Whatever , I said). But when she ordered it, JYSK called back to say that they were really low on stock, and that the stock they did have was damaged, and

some paintings to keep you company

  at the stations of seeing ; mixed media on cradled wood panel, 24 x 30 inches.   $350 local.     At the Stations of Seeing I expected something on the level of poetry moving the machinery within but instead it was wreckage and difficult instructions Recursive Procedures for Life Structures and that sort of thing. IF—THEN—ELSE where the option is optional CASE, which is multi-situational DO—WHILE the function is zero BREAK and LOOP again and again until failure. please CALL, if you can, or while you are still missed. . . . I went away for awhile, for various reasons, and now I am starting to come back. Where I finally end up is anyone's guess, but one of the stations on the path of that return is a willingness to sell my art again; this post is about just one of the larger paintings I currently have for sale for clients and customers in the Kingston area. A good place to start. The prices for these works are lower because the transaction is personal, easier — come by my stud