Skip to main content

there is a light that never goes out

hanging lantern in the corner of my studio

* * * * *

Yesterday was Chinese New Year ... so a happy new year to my niece, Mei Mei! Apparently, 2011 is the Year of the Golden Rabbit.
The Rabbit is a lucky sign. Rabbits are private individuals and a bit introverted. People born in the Year of the Rabbit are reasonably friendly individuals who enjoy the company of a group of good friends. They are good teachers, counselors and communicators, but also need their own space. According to Chinese tradition, the Rabbit brings a year in which you can catch your breath and calm your nerves. It is a time for negotiation. Don't try to force issues, because if you do you will ultimately fail. To gain the greatest benefits from this time, focus on home, family, security, diplomacy, and your relationships with women and children. Make it a goal to create a safe, peaceful lifestyle, so you will be able to calmly deal with any problem that may arise.
Hmm ... this says nothing about gambling or smoking too much, so I'm a bit doubtful about its veracity. Besides, I think Mei Mei is waiting for the Year of the Two-Fisted Gangster.

* * * * *

An old drunk with an Irish accent (coincidence?) came up to me this morning and asked for the time. "Seven forty-five," I said, without looking at my watch, and he stumbled past.

It's such a shock to be asked for the time these days, when everyone's so wired up. It's like your thoughts when you come across a phone booth: Oh yeah ... phone booths ... *those* were cool. I miss those days. I miss the idea of the phone being something separate and other, something slightly alien, and strange to be on for any length of time (unless you were sixteen and you had your own extension, but those kind of kids were like millionaires to me). And you know what was really cool? Phoning for the correct time.

Comments

  1. I remember that...I was the last kid in my high school to get a cell phone--actually I didn't until after I graduated, jeez--so all my mental maps had the pay phones marked on them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember my family having a party line!!! I know..I just carbon dated myself. The sad thing is..if no one asks the time..no one is talking to each other. The funny thing is when people my age and older are distracted by their phones..come on..we knew a life without that stuff..can't put it down to drive? The other thing I noticed was when I went back to the University at age 53. All the students would leave the class and put on the ipod earbuds and text on their phones. No one socialized in the halls. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was 7 I was a Brownie (mini Girl Scout), and for one of my badges I had to make a call from a pay phone

    The Guide Leader went with me to make sure I did it right, and I was so nervous I dropped my 2c (does that make me feel old or what) before I could get it in the phone. I think I rang my Mum

    The other part of getting that badge was making a bed. I think that took me about an hour

    I got that damn badge, and boy I wore it proudly on my cardie :)

    Happy rabbity new year

    ReplyDelete
  4. to die by your side is such a heavenly way to die...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gong Hey Fat Choy to the niece!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

the indisputable weight of the ocean

People are always telling me that my work is too dark. So I've put up this sunnier story, but even it has a shadow, as its original publisher – a fine Atlantic Canadian literary magazine called the Gaspereau Review – is no longer in business. ---------------- It was a simple enough thing and that thing was simply this: Edmund Kelley was a gentleman. Of course his mom called him her 'little gentleman', as in 'Oh Edmund, you are my perfect little gentleman,' which did seem to hold to a certain logic that these type of things often follow, considering her affection for him and the fact that he was, after all, only ten years old. Still, Edmund himself was not particularly fond of the diminutive aspect of that title. Gentleman was enough; gentleman summed up the whole thing rather nicely, thank you. He was definitely a more refined version of your average child. He lived in a state of perpetual Sunday m

Oona Balloona (doesn't care about new tables)

Well, it's Friday, and since I'm pretty depleted in the chit-chat department, I might as well put up some pictures of Ol' Giggles At Ghosts before Grandma starts sending me hate mail. Man, what a goofball. At this rate it's going to be, like, eighteen years before she has gainful employment and moves out of the house. I mean, come on . * * * * * C is especially crazy and frantic today. About two months ago she decided that she no longer liked our dining room table (take that, dining room table! no more BFF for you!). Since then she's switched the dining room and kitchen table (and all the rest of the furniture in the house -- about thirty times, but that's another story) as a provisional solution while she scoured area stores for an upgrade. And she thought she had found one, on Wednesday, at JYSK ( Whatever , I said). But when she ordered it, JYSK called back to say that they were really low on stock, and that the stock they did have was damaged, and

some paintings to keep you company

  at the stations of seeing ; mixed media on cradled wood panel, 24 x 30 inches.   $350 local.     At the Stations of Seeing I expected something on the level of poetry moving the machinery within but instead it was wreckage and difficult instructions Recursive Procedures for Life Structures and that sort of thing. IF—THEN—ELSE where the option is optional CASE, which is multi-situational DO—WHILE the function is zero BREAK and LOOP again and again until failure. please CALL, if you can, or while you are still missed. . . . I went away for awhile, for various reasons, and now I am starting to come back. Where I finally end up is anyone's guess, but one of the stations on the path of that return is a willingness to sell my art again; this post is about just one of the larger paintings I currently have for sale for clients and customers in the Kingston area. A good place to start. The prices for these works are lower because the transaction is personal, easier — come by my stud