Skip to main content

échantillons positive

échantillons; india ink on math paper.

* * * * *

Some people (I'm looking at you, Jeannette) have said, as of late, that I complain a lot, and that I'm overly negative. Surely this is a scorpion, it's-my-nature kind of thing. Still, as I was lying in bed last night, listening to one of the cats (the fat one) puke on the stairs, I had three thoughts:
1) I wish I was asleep right now.
2) Be careful of that puke when you get up in the morning.
3) I should try to be more positive.

* * * * *

I mean, nice things *do* happen, almost randomly. For example, Megan Power just wrote a very nice review of my book in Arts East, an arts and culture ezine (a sharp-looking pdf they mail to you upon request) from Atlantic Canada. She said
Berger’s exceptional collection of strange, artful short stories offers the kind of instant gratification readers are hungry for in a time-starved world. Every school kid’s fantasy comes vividly true in ‘An Arsonist’s Guide to Physics’ - in a miraculous two and a half pages. Berger’s economy is his genius: he gets to the heart faster than a gamma ray. In ‘Free Rein’, a history professor and his mistress gamble the last of the children’s savings bonds with mixed success. ‘Red Horse Leader’ reads like a micro novel. ‘The Kingdom of Chicken’ is a surprisingly poignant portrait of the single girl’s dilemma and ‘Big Head’ is the literary equivalent of an episode of The Office, complete with email exchanges which make the reader cringe and grin, often in the same sentence.

* * * * *

A while ago the talented Gillian Sze wrote to tell me that she was using one of my illustrations on her website as an example of work that she likes (it was used in her great magazine, Branch). And I said of course and thank you and I wrote it down to use on a rainy (or snowy, and virus-plagued) day like this one.

* * * * *

And here is a wee review I wrote recently for the Advent Book Blog, for Carolyn Smart's Hooked. The Advent Book Blog is one of those great ideas where people who care about books just start something out of nothing and run with it. Which you have to do a lot of in this country.

* * * * *

And speaking of books, an artist friend of mine just signed a deal for a book about a year of making art. I'll repeat that: a book about making art. And that's so gratifying, to see the right people get the things they were made for. It's all just in the planning stages now but I'll tell you more as it comes along.

* * * * *

So there you go: positive. Positive! I'm more positive than Tony Robbins! Now if only I could be that shark-like.

Comments

  1. You made me laugh into my coffee today. I always say in the immortal words of Popeye.."I yam what I yam". congrats on the rave reviews..I need to pick up your book. Have a great day in spite of the cats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i recently met this guy..really nice.
    totally dig his art and his writing.i found him quite positive...'cept if he spent less time making me pee on my chair(his blog) i'm quite sure he'd have more time to do positive things like little books & journals...
    sorry bout the puking cat!dexter puked today but like i tell my kids ...not my dog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if I would call it negative maybe a unique point of view on life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i dont know what kind of day you are having yet but i can say mine is all super SUPER SUPER!!!
    i am the proud owner of a new journal that i luv ....but then i dont have to tell u that do i?
    now i have to find the perfect pen.do u do pens?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reread that email, I dont think I said you complain. I was the one complaining. But you are always sick, and you do hate your job. Those are just facts, not complaints.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great news about your artist friend's book deal. And nice review, too. Glad things are cheery for you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

the indisputable weight of the ocean

People are always telling me that my work is too dark. So I've put up this sunnier story, but even it has a shadow, as its original publisher – a fine Atlantic Canadian literary magazine called the Gaspereau Review – is no longer in business. ---------------- It was a simple enough thing and that thing was simply this: Edmund Kelley was a gentleman. Of course his mom called him her 'little gentleman', as in 'Oh Edmund, you are my perfect little gentleman,' which did seem to hold to a certain logic that these type of things often follow, considering her affection for him and the fact that he was, after all, only ten years old. Still, Edmund himself was not particularly fond of the diminutive aspect of that title. Gentleman was enough; gentleman summed up the whole thing rather nicely, thank you. He was definitely a more refined version of your average child. He lived in a state of perpetual Sunday m

glamour, by extension

C is friends with the fashion stylist Rebekah Roy (left in both pics above) ... one of those people who personify calm and smiling success. On her blog she presents glamour in this very sincere, straightforward way ... whether she's taking pictures of people on the street , talking about stain removers , her favourite videos , or attending some glittering party . One minute she's ruminating on hair extensions, and in the next she reveals how she's been featured on the Vogue UK site. A real disarmer and charmer (and this without meeting her yet, although I feel like I know her because we both did our time in Winnipeg). * * * * * Coming home from Russia, we did many bad things. ; mixed media on canvas, 10 x 10 inches. In my own life, the glamour is wholly imagined. * * * * * witches, smoke ; mixed media on canvas, 10 x 10 inches. My second go at this one, and for some reason I'm painting a lot of smoke lately (note to self: tell C that I want to be cremated). *

Oona Balloona (doesn't care about new tables)

Well, it's Friday, and since I'm pretty depleted in the chit-chat department, I might as well put up some pictures of Ol' Giggles At Ghosts before Grandma starts sending me hate mail. Man, what a goofball. At this rate it's going to be, like, eighteen years before she has gainful employment and moves out of the house. I mean, come on . * * * * * C is especially crazy and frantic today. About two months ago she decided that she no longer liked our dining room table (take that, dining room table! no more BFF for you!). Since then she's switched the dining room and kitchen table (and all the rest of the furniture in the house -- about thirty times, but that's another story) as a provisional solution while she scoured area stores for an upgrade. And she thought she had found one, on Wednesday, at JYSK ( Whatever , I said). But when she ordered it, JYSK called back to say that they were really low on stock, and that the stock they did have was damaged, and