Skip to main content

art for the peanut

The sweet aftermath of an art trade with Susan: it came in the mail yesterday. The black bird is so charming and C had a very good idea to frame the rabbit for the peanut's room. Go peanut!

* * * * *

Using this (above) to make these (below); monoprints from a scratched-up cutting board + water colour + some soap. For Susan's upcoming print show.

The writing is text from a story I just finished (well, the first draft anyway). It reads: Now it’s been six weeks of silence and I know I know there’s something wrong and I know it has nothing to do with the mail or you being sick or away or anything like that, there’s only one reason and I can feel it as sure as a lump in my throat across all these many miles and that reason is that you’re cross with me and possibly even done with me. And this makes me so upset Quintal, I can’t tell you, just the thought of it sends me to the mirror again, standing there applying lipstick and not knowing what I’m looking for, just watching for that glisten and quiver and hard spark at the corners of my eyes, thinking about what a little fool I am sometimes, so vain and reckless and using my ego like a blanket to throw over people, only in your case the blanket is on fire.

* * * * *

My sister Rachel makes these clothespin bags called bird on a wire (oiseau sur un fil). This one's on our back door right now but with winter almost over it will soon be on our clothesline where it can sing to the neighbours. For more info just send me or Rachel an email.

Comments

  1. love the art you got from the trade! your peanut will have the coolest room ever! i always give both of my nephew's art for every holiday so now they each have cool galleries going. the youngest, little mo, just got a photograph i took in italy of mosaic of a skeleton. he loved it so much he stood up on his chair at his birthday party and "shock his fanny"-ok, this is a little 3 year old who was more excited about a framed piece of art than a plastic toy that made noises! hee!

    love your monotypes! ok, i am going to try to get going on my monotypes again-i just love to huff that ink! great story as well!

    love the robin clothespin bag too. you are surrounded by great art!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your lines... they're beautiful...and you've got a very hot blog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

the indisputable weight of the ocean

People are always telling me that my work is too dark. So I've put up this sunnier story, but even it has a shadow, as its original publisher – a fine Atlantic Canadian literary magazine called the Gaspereau Review – is no longer in business. ---------------- It was a simple enough thing and that thing was simply this: Edmund Kelley was a gentleman. Of course his mom called him her 'little gentleman', as in 'Oh Edmund, you are my perfect little gentleman,' which did seem to hold to a certain logic that these type of things often follow, considering her affection for him and the fact that he was, after all, only ten years old. Still, Edmund himself was not particularly fond of the diminutive aspect of that title. Gentleman was enough; gentleman summed up the whole thing rather nicely, thank you. He was definitely a more refined version of your average child. He lived in a state of perpetual Sunday m

Oona Balloona (doesn't care about new tables)

Well, it's Friday, and since I'm pretty depleted in the chit-chat department, I might as well put up some pictures of Ol' Giggles At Ghosts before Grandma starts sending me hate mail. Man, what a goofball. At this rate it's going to be, like, eighteen years before she has gainful employment and moves out of the house. I mean, come on . * * * * * C is especially crazy and frantic today. About two months ago she decided that she no longer liked our dining room table (take that, dining room table! no more BFF for you!). Since then she's switched the dining room and kitchen table (and all the rest of the furniture in the house -- about thirty times, but that's another story) as a provisional solution while she scoured area stores for an upgrade. And she thought she had found one, on Wednesday, at JYSK ( Whatever , I said). But when she ordered it, JYSK called back to say that they were really low on stock, and that the stock they did have was damaged, and

some paintings to keep you company

  at the stations of seeing ; mixed media on cradled wood panel, 24 x 30 inches.   $350 local.     At the Stations of Seeing I expected something on the level of poetry moving the machinery within but instead it was wreckage and difficult instructions Recursive Procedures for Life Structures and that sort of thing. IF—THEN—ELSE where the option is optional CASE, which is multi-situational DO—WHILE the function is zero BREAK and LOOP again and again until failure. please CALL, if you can, or while you are still missed. . . . I went away for awhile, for various reasons, and now I am starting to come back. Where I finally end up is anyone's guess, but one of the stations on the path of that return is a willingness to sell my art again; this post is about just one of the larger paintings I currently have for sale for clients and customers in the Kingston area. A good place to start. The prices for these works are lower because the transaction is personal, easier — come by my stud