Skip to main content

land of the living skies

Just returned from a see-the-family vacation in Saskatchewan and ... wow, this post is going to be a long one. Because if we (the collective 'we', as in you and me) don't take a ton of pictures to document our existence, we might as well die (or have never lived ... then again, the aborigines believed the opposite).

* * * * *

My mom and I ... some of us get height, some of us get wisdom. And jack-in-the-box grins.

* * * * *

After much joyous but bittersweet pillaging of downtown shops ("All these dresses are made for tall skinny girls!"), I took C for a walk along the Meewasin Trail, with stops at the Mendel's conservatory, the Pelican-happy weir, the pedestrian and railway bridge, and the University of Saskatchewan.

* * * * *

One day we drove down to the mineral springs at Watrous (which C pronounces "Wah-truce") ... a 'resort' with the look and feel of something from the Soviet bloc, right down to the pink stucco and octogenarian crowd ... I thought it would be heartening for C to be around people her own height, but all those minerals made her a little salty ...

* * * * *

Shawn loves sunglasses, trucks and the action end of a hose ...


Oh yes: and watering cans. And flowers. Or anything that looks like a flower.

Tanis and Colin, who graciously hosted a barbecue ...

Mary Ann, Jennifer and Tanis, getting the troops together ...

Everyone (sans me), then the boys, then the ladies. C always loves the gas-passing anonymity of a crowd. Sneaky!

C and Shawn; Jon and Jenn (Jon's just happy not be sleeping in the park these days); Tim, Shawn and Mary Ann; Colin, Landon, Tanis, Ryer (with Ryer and Landon thinking: when can we get back to Halo?).

* * * * *

On our last full day we drove out to Perdue, the village I grew up in. By emphasizing its smallness, I guess I led C to imagine it as little more than a diner at the side of the road, and she was a quite shocked to be confronted by actual intersections, let alone a post office. At the same time, she found the sky to be a bit too immense ... oppressive even, with so little between one and the sun. Hey, that's how we keep things honest. From top: C hamming it up at SOK 3CO; C at the side doors of my highschool, where my principal used to wait for me just to tell me if I made it on time (if I didn't, I got the day off, which wasn't a very well-thought-out punishment); mom and C in our front yard; the sign for Biggar, just 20 miles down the highway and, as far as I could ever tell, the end of the world.

* * * * *

Getting home. Why do we attach so much glamour to travel? To me it's like some kind of punishment. And this from a guy who's never used a bathroom on an airplane. Never. They could have lions in there for all I know.

* * * * *

And then: a book for the airplane. Like most translated books, Night isn't the best written, but the message within overwhelms everything else. I read it in one go (an event unusual enough to make note of it). A personal narration on the horror of Auschwitz will put the cramped quarters of a West Jet flight into sharp perspective.

Comments

  1. Anonymous3:35 pm

    Great photos Darryl ! Love all of your captions as usual, too funny most times.I think C is adorable, I love the dresses she found, wow, so pretty ! :) There was that one guy in one of the family pics, my god he looks like you, well quite resembles, I can see the height difference etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I take photos therefore I am

    ReplyDelete
  3. just home from the vaca and reading the most fav blogs of all time. what adventures! what photos! what great art! and tell c, i can TOTALLY relate to the shopping experiences she has had ... she has been way more successful in the end than i!
    i am most in awe of your flying non bathroom experiences. trust me, the flush is worth the worry of lions.
    heh.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

the indisputable weight of the ocean

People are always telling me that my work is too dark. So I've put up this sunnier story, but even it has a shadow, as its original publisher – a fine Atlantic Canadian literary magazine called the Gaspereau Review – is no longer in business. ---------------- It was a simple enough thing and that thing was simply this: Edmund Kelley was a gentleman. Of course his mom called him her 'little gentleman', as in 'Oh Edmund, you are my perfect little gentleman,' which did seem to hold to a certain logic that these type of things often follow, considering her affection for him and the fact that he was, after all, only ten years old. Still, Edmund himself was not particularly fond of the diminutive aspect of that title. Gentleman was enough; gentleman summed up the whole thing rather nicely, thank you. He was definitely a more refined version of your average child. He lived in a state of perpetual Sunday m

Oona Balloona (doesn't care about new tables)

Well, it's Friday, and since I'm pretty depleted in the chit-chat department, I might as well put up some pictures of Ol' Giggles At Ghosts before Grandma starts sending me hate mail. Man, what a goofball. At this rate it's going to be, like, eighteen years before she has gainful employment and moves out of the house. I mean, come on . * * * * * C is especially crazy and frantic today. About two months ago she decided that she no longer liked our dining room table (take that, dining room table! no more BFF for you!). Since then she's switched the dining room and kitchen table (and all the rest of the furniture in the house -- about thirty times, but that's another story) as a provisional solution while she scoured area stores for an upgrade. And she thought she had found one, on Wednesday, at JYSK ( Whatever , I said). But when she ordered it, JYSK called back to say that they were really low on stock, and that the stock they did have was damaged, and

some paintings to keep you company

  at the stations of seeing ; mixed media on cradled wood panel, 24 x 30 inches.   $350 local.     At the Stations of Seeing I expected something on the level of poetry moving the machinery within but instead it was wreckage and difficult instructions Recursive Procedures for Life Structures and that sort of thing. IF—THEN—ELSE where the option is optional CASE, which is multi-situational DO—WHILE the function is zero BREAK and LOOP again and again until failure. please CALL, if you can, or while you are still missed. . . . I went away for awhile, for various reasons, and now I am starting to come back. Where I finally end up is anyone's guess, but one of the stations on the path of that return is a willingness to sell my art again; this post is about just one of the larger paintings I currently have for sale for clients and customers in the Kingston area. A good place to start. The prices for these works are lower because the transaction is personal, easier — come by my stud