Skip to main content

the next big thing meme

My friends Michelle and Ariel have both warned me that I'm about to be tagged with the Next Big Thing blog meme so here I am getting right out in front of it. Ha!

Ten Interview Questions for the Next Big Thing:

What is your working title of your book? It's called Dark All Day.

Where did the idea come from for the book? It's a short story collection so the ideas are from all over. Who the hell knows? Most things come to me (at me?) as I walk to work -- then, like a crazy person, I go over to a post or a tree and write myself notes in one of the little books I carry. People stare as they drive by, what's that guy doing?

And then sometimes things just come right to/at me. Like the note that literally blew up against my boot this morning. I've blurred out the names of the parties involved but, from what I can make out, someone *really* needs to stop making threatening remarks at work.


Just before that I found a toonie, staring up at me like a million dollars from the sidewalk. Why does found money make us so happy, out of all relation to its value?

And then, when I finally got to work, I found this dinosaur picture waiting for me at my desk.


I like the purple one in the middle. Haughty or miserable. Now -- is that sun bleeding hearts, or is the blue dinosaur about to find out that some romances are doomed from the start?

What genre does your book fall under? It's literary fiction, which is a fancy way of saying that all I know how to do is make people laugh or disturb them.

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition? C and I have watched a lot of Boardwalk Empire lately, and I really like Kelly Macdonald and Michael Shannon. Macdonald, in particular, has a face built for worry.

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book? Dark All Day is about the end of things, about the way things fall apart.

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency? It's being published by Mediumless and will be distributed by Small Press Distribution and Ingram.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript? Some of these stories have been kicking around for years, but I only really pulled it all together last spring.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre? I don't know how to answer that (what, do I have a fucking Masters in Creative Writing or some other bullshit?), so I'll only say that my favourite book of short stories is Joyce Carol Oates The Assignation.

Who or what inspired you to write this book? I belong to the Ban Righ Writer's Group, which meets every Tuesday, and every Tuesday I know I need to have three new pages of work. Inspiration is bosh, deadlines are everything.

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest? It should be a beautiful object -- each of the forty-one stories is illustrated in ink brush.

Now I have to tag five other writers, so why not Kelli, Susan, Leah, Peter and Adrienne. They will do what they will.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

glamour, by extension

C is friends with the fashion stylist Rebekah Roy (left in both pics above) ... one of those people who personify calm and smiling success. On her blog she presents glamour in this very sincere, straightforward way ... whether she's taking pictures of people on the street , talking about stain removers , her favourite videos , or attending some glittering party . One minute she's ruminating on hair extensions, and in the next she reveals how she's been featured on the Vogue UK site. A real disarmer and charmer (and this without meeting her yet, although I feel like I know her because we both did our time in Winnipeg). * * * * * Coming home from Russia, we did many bad things. ; mixed media on canvas, 10 x 10 inches. In my own life, the glamour is wholly imagined. * * * * * witches, smoke ; mixed media on canvas, 10 x 10 inches. My second go at this one, and for some reason I'm painting a lot of smoke lately (note to self: tell C that I want to be cremated). *

the indisputable weight of the ocean

People are always telling me that my work is too dark. So I've put up this sunnier story, but even it has a shadow, as its original publisher – a fine Atlantic Canadian literary magazine called the Gaspereau Review – is no longer in business. ---------------- It was a simple enough thing and that thing was simply this: Edmund Kelley was a gentleman. Of course his mom called him her 'little gentleman', as in 'Oh Edmund, you are my perfect little gentleman,' which did seem to hold to a certain logic that these type of things often follow, considering her affection for him and the fact that he was, after all, only ten years old. Still, Edmund himself was not particularly fond of the diminutive aspect of that title. Gentleman was enough; gentleman summed up the whole thing rather nicely, thank you. He was definitely a more refined version of your average child. He lived in a state of perpetual Sunday m

Oona Balloona (doesn't care about new tables)

Well, it's Friday, and since I'm pretty depleted in the chit-chat department, I might as well put up some pictures of Ol' Giggles At Ghosts before Grandma starts sending me hate mail. Man, what a goofball. At this rate it's going to be, like, eighteen years before she has gainful employment and moves out of the house. I mean, come on . * * * * * C is especially crazy and frantic today. About two months ago she decided that she no longer liked our dining room table (take that, dining room table! no more BFF for you!). Since then she's switched the dining room and kitchen table (and all the rest of the furniture in the house -- about thirty times, but that's another story) as a provisional solution while she scoured area stores for an upgrade. And she thought she had found one, on Wednesday, at JYSK ( Whatever , I said). But when she ordered it, JYSK called back to say that they were really low on stock, and that the stock they did have was damaged, and